User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Turner Expander 500

Anyone ever used a Turner Expander 500 mic.Saw one on Craigs L:rolleyes:ist in my area but know of no one who ever had one.Currently use a D-104,Sadelta Classic and Astatic Echomaster 2000 depending on the radio..Best Regards and Merry Christmas Uncledave in the Buckeye CH15

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldnt bother ,they are big,they are bulky,and they are plastic too.plus they sound bassy.stick with what your running .you wouldnt be happy with that turner .

unless you want it just to have one .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,I'll take your advice

wiretwister is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 383 Home Channel: Several
    Radio
    257, Icom, Tricked out 29 , Heathkit, XForce just to name a few..
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had one some time ago........thinking since it was suppose to be a turner it would be a good mic...NOT !! Not the turner of old, quality just not there.
    Not even close to a +2 or a Super sidekick.:frown2:
    Im not sure its even the same "Turner" A division of Conrac Corp.
    Dont waste your money....

Wire

295 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 295 Home Channel: 19, 16, 38 LSB
    Radio
    295 Tuned Cobra 2000GTL, Uniden Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had one once, like JD said Big, Bulky, and Plastic. Got rid of the ugly thing after a week. Nothing is as pretty as a D104, or an RE-27, or even the Shure 55.

2 Nine 5

Factoid, it was 97.689 miles from my mobile station to 631 in Hereford, MD, so you can talk farther than 71 miles on ground wave.:yesnod: You should take Lou Franklin's book and use it for a door stop...Breaka Breaka Breaka.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default turner expander

i have had one of those mics for a few years, came in original box, have wired it to a few radios and put it back in the box, have never heard a good review of the mic and never had any good results with the one i have, there ugly to. ,,,,,,, jimbo

Radio
    Junk
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had a couple of them also a few years back.

I did not like them at all and got rid of them.

For some reason though, nice ones bring good $ on FeeBay.

Astatic made a similar mic, the 1104C, and it was plastic also, but much better sounding.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1104c

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman223 View Post
    I had a couple of them also a few years back.

I did not like them at all and got rid of them.

For some reason though, nice ones bring good $ on FeeBay.

Astatic made a similar mic, the 1104C, and it was plastic also, but much better sounding.

Ron
    yes i have the 1104 c microphone, a way much better microphone, have always heard good audio reports when using it, it has a compression adjustment under the batterie compartment, when matched correctly with the radio it sounds very good. they also come in different colors, mine is a blah beige color, they are getting harder to find, i picked this one up at a hamfest about 10 years ago,,,,,,,,,,,jimbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expander

Quote Originally Posted by uncledave View Post
    Anyone ever used a Turner Expander 500 mic.Saw one on Craigs L:rolleyes:ist in my area but know of no one who ever had one.Currently use a D-104,Sadelta Classic and Astatic Echomaster 2000 depending on the radio..Best Regards and Merry Christmas Uncledave in the Buckeye CH15
    I just read all posts and I agree with everyone....plastic, ugly, bassy, dorky looking....but! There is one redeeming quality. Right behind the mic element (if I remember correctly) is a circuit board that screams. Mass audio. What happens from there is a mystery as I have never used one that was operational as I feel the same way. Big, ugly, dorky, etc....

If someone likes to fart around with home brew stuff then snag this circular shaped circuit board. They are hot.

Mike

missouri mule is offline Radio Operator DX Numbers: 427 Home Channel: 17 AM
    Radio
    RCI 2995DX,Astroplane
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncledave View Post
    I had one, back in the early '90s.I didnt keep it long either.Too big, bulky, just plain ugly.I'll stick to my +2, etc.The one thing I remember hearing about the Expander 500 was theres a plasic piece that has to do with keying.It wears out.I didnt keep mine long enough to find out.I tried an Astatic 1104c, I liked it even less....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I shouldve searched aroud for this thread, THink I should post make offer on my sales thread. lol
    ITʻs A 10K WORLD!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guese i'm the only one that like mine. it sounds great on my Teaberry Stalker XV especialy on SSB always get great audio quality reports. also seems to worj grea with my 2970 on am & ssb.

Radio
    Icom IC-707, Siltronix 1011D, Cobra 2000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a Turner Expander 500 on my Cobra 2000 for my voice characteristics it sound fine, always receive positive audio reports. Some folks dislike them for good reason, depending on the radio some sounded really bad though I don't have any specific knowledge as to why. Likewise the Turner +3 Base Mic also receives mixed reviews but I always found them to be a decent mic and till this day nothing beats a Turner SSK for SSB that was marketed specifically to CB'ers in my opinion. Curiously I sound lousy using a amplified version of the D104 yet on the non-amplified I sound fine. There's so many variables when it comes to microphones from the radio, the acoustics of the environment and the user's voice characteristics.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. - Ronald Reagan