PDA

View Full Version : best dx beams

project
03-23-2010, 02:51 PM
im looking for opinions on the best all around beams . i cant afford a 75' beam like Prime Minista so something within reason, say up to $600. or so, reliable and stays in tune fairly well.. its going to be up around 120' with an Imax stacked above it. All opinions are welcome..

kswitchdr
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Maco m 107

JesseJamesNEC
03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
yup maco M107 or a signal engineering 4 quad, if ya wanna DX with the M107 flat side is usually best, so you would have to put it up only flat side, if you go with the signal engineering 4 quad, then you would have both vertical and horizontal, and finally you could go with a nice Gizmotchy 4 or 5 element, which would be MY choice personally!

rifleman223
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Here is one on Ebay right now... A Hy Gain 5 element 'Long John' Yagi.

I had a couple of friends who had these in the late 1960's, early 70's, and they were MONSTER antennas !!! A lot better than the Moonraker 4 that I had at the time !!! (at least on one side)

Ebay Item # 250602361985

By the way, before anyone asks... Hy Gain's 'Beta Match' is what they called a hairpin match. So it will handle high power.

project
03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I have been looking at the SE Lightning 8 but I havent gotten a price yet. Anyone know of anyone using one ..

kswitchdr
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I have been looking at the SE Lightning 8 but I havent gotten a price yet. Anyone know of anyone using one ..
If you are putting a lightning 8 up you had better have a way to crank that tower down someway. The wind and the ice can play havoc with those antennas. I have personally never owned one but know people who have. The nice thing about the Maco antennas is once they are up they are pretty much maintenance proof. I have had a laser 500 up since 1976 and have only had it down a couple of times. Once to repair the rotor and another to change the coax and gamma matches to handle more power. I also modified it a few years ago to a 60 foot boom with 10 flatside elements. I have it so I can fold it over and work on it in less than 5 minutes also. Put up a m 106 or am 107 and have fun talking not working on your beam. Up that high with a couple of thousand watts and you can talk wherever you want. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun. Later,Mike.

gunslinger338
03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I dont know if its the best ... but i got a m107 flat and a 4 pill that will put it down without haveing the neighbors calling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU5S03HwwFs

bamacj
03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I like the signal engineering for dual purpose and gain, the maco for the price, m2 for max gain at given boomlength. But in reality you probably couldnt tell anyone of the three apart in dx.

project
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think Im going to go with the m107..

Stresstest
03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Did you ever get a price on this out of curiosity?

project
03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
No I never did. I read on some other forum where ppl were bitching about it being temperamental and had to retune more than I want. I want something to put up and stay up unless I have to take it down.
Did you ever get a price on this out of curiosity?

HiDef
03-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think Im going to go with the m107..

Good choice. Known quantity no BS antenna.

1kylehughes
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
go to www.jogunn.com (http://www.jogunn.com) and check out there beams!!!! bump 98 buckeye gone

illenema
07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey there, Maybe check out the Maco Flat 6 or 8 beams. Adding the Quad reflector to the yagi adds about 6-8 db front to back.
I purchased the m106 then ugraded it to the flat 6 there is a directivity improvement. I think stacked 6 element m106 would be great and pretty cost effective. I now have the flat 6 and from 30 miles to my mobile with amp on (1k) 20db over 9 on the 101E

Marconi
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Hey there, Maybe check out the Maco Flat 6 or 8 beams. Adding the Quad reflector to the yagi adds about 6-8 db front to back.
I purchased the m106 then ugraded it to the flat 6 there is a directivity improvement. I think stacked 6 element m106 would be great and pretty cost effective. I now have the flat 6 and from 30 miles to my mobile with amp on (1k) 20db over 9 on the 101E

Say ill-enema, I have an AstroPlane up at about 40' feet, and talk to Freeport, Tx, 80 miles South of Houston, just about any time with 5 watts. This is as low as I can go. What does that say about your 1KW at 30 miles and you big old beam?

I'll bet you can do much better than needing a 1000 watts to talk 30 miles. If my friend and I get on our beams we can make S5 to S7 with him doing 1 watt and me at 5 watts. I'll bet you never tried to do low watts. Just try it some time. Make your contact using the 1000 watts and then shut it down and go as low as you can on your radio and see what you can still do.

For Project, what's wrong with your Lazer, not enough? For me the M107 is the best money per inch of boom length.

illenema
07-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Say ill-enema, I have an AstroPlane up at about 40' feet, and talk to Freeport, Tx, 80 miles South of Houston, just about any time with 5 watts. This is as low as I can go. What does that say about your 1KW at 30 miles and you big old beam?

I'll bet you can do much better than needing a 1000 watts to talk 30 miles. If my friend and I get on our beams we can make S5 to S7 with him doing 1 watt and me at 5 watts. I'll bet you never tried to do low watts. Just try it some time. Make your contact using the 1000 watts and then shut it down and go as low as you can on your radio and see what you can still do

For Project, what's wrong with your Lazer, not enough? For me the M107 is the best money per inch of boom length.

Always looking to upgrade. My flat 6 pointed right at the mobile stationary 30 miles out S9 modulator only. Lots nice open road here in southern nevada. I run my big set up as much as I can. Im just bored with the flat 6. Its on a crankdown so swapping isnt all that big of a deal.

lightnin26
07-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Okay I'm gonna piss some people off here...... But I really am just stating an opinion Jo....Who??? My neighbor up the road from me about 8 miles spent a shit load of dollar on a JoGunn 8 element he put 4 s-units less on me than he did with a maco 5 element... when he heard this from just about everyone in the area , we took his antenna down and took it down and re-tuned it put it back in the air and still the same result , 4 s-units less............. Hmmmmmmmm a 5 element doin more than that big ole expensive antenna...Just to make sure he wasn't doin no cheatin he went to my house and I went to his house and proved it to him. He felt robbed all that money on that star shaped heavy piece of shit antenna....I could even key on him in dx with a homemade ground plane!!!!!!

The Shadow
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Okay I'm gonna piss some people off here...... But I really am just stating an opinion Jo....Who??? My neighbor up the road from me about 8 miles spent a shit load of dollar on a JoGunn 8 element he put 4 s-units less on me than he did with a maco 5 element... when he heard this from just about everyone in the area , we took his antenna down and took it down and re-tuned it put it back in the air and still the same result , 4 s-units less............. Hmmmmmmmm a 5 element doin more than that big ole expensive antenna...Just to make sure he wasn't doin no cheatin he went to my house and I went to his house and proved it to him. He felt robbed all that money on that star shaped heavy piece of shit antenna....I could even key on him in dx with a homemade ground plane!!!!!!

Two months ago a buddy that is just about air 70 miles from me ( hour and 15 minute drive) put up a 6 element Jo-$hit beam on his 100 foot crank up tower. It was indeed well-built, like a brick $hit house to say the least. We tried for about 2 hours to tune that thing (at 20 feet in the air) and still couldn't get the swr lower then 1.6:1 at 46 ohms, element spacings and boom length just didn't seem right to me to begin with. Anyway, he decided to let it go and run it for a while, so up it went. Back home, on his old Maco V5/8 he gave me just over 6 S-units, on that piece of junk he gave me just barely 4 S-units. He said he couldn't make a single Dx contact with it (retired guy does nothing but talk on the radio all day). Two weeks ago we took it down and slapped a brand new Maco 7 element up on the flat-side. Dialed in dead flat 1.0:1 at 50 ohms within seconds. Bastard is in the cherry patch with an easy 10dB's now, and he's only running a stock cobra 2000. When skip allows he told me he's been talking all over the country with only a 1 pill box behind that cobra. He sold the Jo-$hit to some other guy in his area and supposedly he's having the same problem with it - he did warn the guy before he sold it to him.

gunslinger338
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I love my M107
But It can be modified to run much better...
90% of the time i out in DX with a radio and a straight 4 pill 2290 box.. thats it

I have the Local mobiles driving to the highest bridges in Houston trying to get out :lol:

08-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I have always had good results with QUADS. IMO they just seam to hit a little harder.

MrClean
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM
I dont know about the best but I love mine. Maco 5 element and here are the strong points. Widebanded enough to run the whole 40 channels. Only gives up a db or so to the 7s out the front and 5 or 6 db front to back. Stay up there easier than a bigger beam. Much tougher than the quads. Thats my story and im sticking to it LOL!

lightnin26
08-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I love my M107
90% of the time i out in DX with a radio and a straight 4 pill 2290 box.. thats it

I have the Local mobiles driving to the highest bridges in Houston trying to get out :lol: HaHaHa I dont care what anyone says you can not compete with an antenna 60 or 70' and even worse 100' or more off the ground because that antenna on top of that sub urban when you come right down to it is just a 6ft antenna !!!!!!!!!1:lol::lol::lol:

sky hawk in the big horn
08-08-2010, 01:50 AM
HaHaHa I dont care what anyone says you can not compete with an antenna 60 or 70' and even worse 100' or more off the ground because that antenna on top of that sub urban when you come right down to it is just a 6ft antenna !!!!!!!!!1:lol::lol::lol:

Dude can you not fucking read....... He has a base also...... with a set of 107's...... I have even keyed against him and lost..... Its just one of those things..... But he also knows what sits in the back of the truck....... A set of maco's.... my main problem is I do not have the time to set up and just sit and talk due to I work 7 days a week 12 to 16 hours a day.

But if I set up on them....... Then it is my talk show all day long..... If putfile was not sold out to ebam's I could show you when I have set them up..... Go back and learn to comprehend the English language. And the 100 foot..... waste of time in dx land..... only good local...... vertical my I add.

lightnin26
08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
dude can you not fucking read....... He has a base also...... With a set of 107's...... I have even keyed against him and lost..... Its just one of those things..... But he also knows what sits in the back of the truck....... A set of maco's.... My main problem is i do not have the time to set up and just sit and talk due to i work 7 days a week 12 to 16 hours a day.

But if i set up on them....... Then it is my talk show all day long..... If putfile was not sold out to ebam's i could show you when i have set them up..... Go back and learn to comprehend the english language. And the 100 foot..... Waste of time in dx land..... Only good local...... Vertical my i add. first of all before you get ya duck feathers all ruffled !!!!!!! I really dont give a fuck if you got keyed on chicken little !!!!!!!! I was strictly makeing reference to talking skip in a mobile compared to a base station and i am quite aware that you talk skip much better between 36' and 72'!!!!!!! Now locally you can run 10k in a mobile all fuckin day and get ya ass handed to you against a 7 element with 100 watts @100'. Hey hey while im sittin in the a/c or in the heated radio room while you sittin out there sweatin/freezin your ass off because you took your a/c compressor out to put alternators you stupid fuck!!!!! I've been in both places.......no i dont run as much as most on the base station hell i dont have my base set up but you can bet your ass i have all intentions of doin so!!!!!!! Skyhawk why the fuck are you riding around with macos in the back of ya truck..........dumb shit put them on a tower at home.......before you go cussin someone you dont even fuckin know you better find out about who they are and what they are about!!!!!!!!! You dont know me skyhawk so keep ya fuckin mouth shut........i aint lookin to get on nobodies' bad side on this forum or any other forum for that matter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

lightnin26
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
HaHaHa I dont care what anyone says you can not compete with an antenna 60 or 70' and even worse 100' or more off the ground because that antenna on top of that sub urban when you come right down to it is just a 6ft antenna !!!!!!!!!1:lol::lol::lol: Oh yeah sky chicken you stupid fuck............If you will fuckin read what i said...I was makeing reference to a suburban with a 6' antenna compared to Slingers 7 element 40' or 50' or however high he has it...........Since you are the fuckin retard that cant fuckin read.........You know...... come to think of it I used to act the same way when I ran all that rf in my mobile and got keyed on by a base station!!!!!!!! Its ok skyhawk when you bump your head on the hood of your subrban or truck mounting alternators or pulling your boxes in and out because you keep popping pills........you will finally understand what I am trying to tell you one day..............no 6' antenna will ever compete with a beam any day!!!!!!!!

sky hawk in the big horn
08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I love my M107

I have the Local mobiles driving to the highest bridges in Houston trying to get out :lol:

HaHaHa I dont care what anyone says you can not compete with an antenna 60 or 70' and even worse 100' or more off the ground because that antenna on top of that sub urban when you come right down to it is just a 6ft antenna !!!!!!!!!1:lol::lol::lol:
Going to break it down to you in english.

What you quoted is him saying he has a base also...... with a set of 107's////// Now read what you stated to him. You ask why I keep the maco's in the truck? Kind of obvious is it not? When I do get time off.... which is very rare.... But I may go out camping for the weekend..... And set them up.....

Now as far as being a stupid fuck.... That I may be.... But then again I must be a stupid fuck with a hammer...... And if you have not noticed.... I am a stupid fuck that gets a hold of equipment that many search for.... Why would that be?

What have you done for the hobby? Where is your claim to fame in the world of cb radio? Where are your watergates and contact's? O and I will be off in a month or two..... Will be staying in the BYU / Magnolia country for a month or 2. With my beams..... Good luck to you in dx land against a 32 pill hooked to 8 elements....

I do have to finish tuning them from 105's to a set of 108's...... Then we see who is getting out...... Good day to ya... :lol::lol:

3strucking
08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
hey hawk, you will be plugging ears thats for shure. That wide band with 32 pills, shooting through 8 elements is going to be hell on them while you are on vacation.

-=PEAKABOO=-
08-09-2010, 03:25 AM
This thread went down hill quick.

DOC HOLIDAY TX
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
This thread went down hill quick.Amen!

lightnin26
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Going to break it down to you in english.

What you quoted is him saying he has a base also...... with a set of 107's////// Now read what you stated to him. You ask why I keep the maco's in the truck? Kind of obvious is it not? When I do get time off.... which is very rare.... But I may go out camping for the weekend..... And set them up.....

Now as far as being a stupid fuck.... That I may be.... But then again I must be a stupid fuck with a hammer...... And if you have not noticed.... I am a stupid fuck that gets a hold of equipment that many search for.... Why would that be?

What have you done for the hobby? Where is your claim to fame in the world of cb radio? Where are your watergates and contact's? O and I will be off in a month or two..... Will be staying in the BYU / Magnolia country for a month or 2. With my beams..... Good luck to you in dx land against a 32 pill hooked to 8 elements....

I do have to finish tuning them from 105's to a set of 108's...... Then we see who is getting out...... Good day to ya... :lol::lol: no claim to fame,,no watergates,,,no pictures of my equipment.....Hell I'm just runnin a 4pill in my truck with a steel whip but I will tell you this......I have been into radios since the early 80's........I got into keydowns in the late 80's through the 90's untill I sat in New Orleans at a keydown when CookieMonster robbed me in the 8pill class............he used a watergate out of the dead side of my antennas after I keyed out the entire class and the last key was keyed twice with me called as the winner ...........so I've been there Skyhawk........I dont think you need to be world famous to enjoy our hobby.....Glad you run a 32 and a 8element thats bad ass in my book!!!!!!! I sure wish I had my station set up,,,,,It's all good here SkyHawk.......Lata !!!!!!!!

NoiseMaker
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Not the first time Ive heard this same story

Froggy
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
maco beams are hard to beat for the money... 5 element for the average dxer... m107 for the serious dxer

gunslinger338
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
what about stacked 7's ?

MrClean
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Makers mark runs stacked 7s vert. Also has a 7 element flat. It works for sure.

gunslinger338
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
biggest i have seen was a stacked set of moonrakers.

i would like to do a set of 7's Flat ...side by side
i wouldn't try to stack one m107 above another .... unless you have one bad ass mast pipe

MrClean
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
biggest i have seen was a stacked set of moonrakers.

i would like to do a set of 7's Flat ...side by side
i wouldn't try to stack one m107 above another .... unless you have one bad ass mast pipe

Here is bad ass mast pipe look at the rateing. I used 1026 dom. I had people tell me I was going overboard but that beats half assed all to hell. I got mine from a local welding shop at cost from my brother in law and painted it with this. Its a mastic type paint and dont have it shaken. It will blow up!

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/masts.htm

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq177/mrclean63/?action=view&current=CIMG0302.jpg&newest=1

Froggy
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Makers mark runs stacked 7s vert. Also has a 7 element flat. It works for sure.

yes he does for sure

rifleman223
08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.antenna.be/an/rhr.jpeg

Someone's always got a bigger one.....

Mr Black Ceaser
08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I had a M107 now it's optimize now it's better than ever .

Mr Black Ceaser
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Remember you can always be out watt-ed but not out performed .

Froggy
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I had a M107 now it's optimize now it's better than ever .

and narrower than ever as well

tricktahoe
08-12-2010, 04:00 PM
go to www.jogunn.com go to testimonials and look at daffy duck gunn in sky

MrClean
08-13-2010, 06:22 PM
and narrower than ever as well

Thats one of the reasons I went with a five. I want to be able to run the whole 40 plus afew out the top. Tuned for 30 I can do just that.

Rickety Bones
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
im looking for opinions on the best all around beams . i cant afford a 75' beam like Prime Minista so something within reason, say up to $600. or so, reliable and stays in tune fairly well.. its going to be up around 120' with an Imax stacked above it. All opinions are welcome..

Hey are you interested in building your own quad, I sell quad spiders

www.rickadams.net

Let me know if I can help

Rick

project
11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I already bought the m107, just dont have it up yet. i might build a quad later on but will stick with this for now. thanks though.
Hey are you interested in building your own quad, I sell quad spiders

www.rickadams.net

Let me know if I can help

Rick

555 -N- Da Horn
11-01-2010, 11:51 PM
just think 2 towers
one tower at 36 foot with m-107 and a 2nd tower at 72 foot with m-107 say both at 100' apart
both talking at the same time pointed the same direction
with a 3cx 3000 just loafing

project
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I might be able to get out then..lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk